Come and explore Hang En Cave located within the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park, and spend one night in its massive chamber below thousands of darting swifts.
Hang En Cave is probably the world’s 3rd largest cave and is quickly becoming one of the must-see natural wonders in Vietnam.
Its size will blow you away, and our campsite located within the cave beside a lazy river, will leave you speechless. You’ll examine fascinating fossils in one part of the cave over 300 million year old, and around every corner be subject to the most picturesque views.
A stop in the ethnic minority Ban Doong Village, set amongst the limestone mountains is a highlight for many, not to mention the pristine jungle, many river crossings, and jovial porter team, made up of local jungle men!
We provide the very best adventure experiences with every aspect of the trip carefully planned including delicious meals, the highest safety standards, and friendly and informative adventure guides.
Day 1: Phong Nha – Ban Doong Village – Hang En
Start your ultimate adventure with a pickup from your hotel in Phong Nha between 8:00 am
and 8:30 am and short transfer to Oxalis Headquarters. Learn all about safety and collect your
gear before driving 45 mins through the National Park to reach the trailhead.
A steep jungle hill starts the adventure, with a refreshing river at the bottom. Hike through rich
jungle to reach the Ban Doong minority village, where a hot cup of tea welcomes you. Lunch
takes place shortly after near the river, and then it’s back into the jungle, through river streams,
and across the river valley until Hang En lays on the horizon. Enter the cave around 3 PM, and
enjoy your afternoon swimming, before a sizzling BBQ dinner is served, complete with rice
wine and beautiful øocks of swifts overhead.
Day 2: Hang En – Ban Doong Village – Phong Nha
Awake for breakfast early and explore the breathtaking exit, and then trek through the dry
passage to the viewpoint high above camp, where 300 million year old fossils can be witnessed.
In the late morning, trek back through the mountainous river valley, through jungle and across
streams, until reaching Doong village again.
Enjoy a picnic lunch by the stream and then prepare for the biggest challenge ahead, climbing
the treacherous hill up to the Ho Chi Minh Road. Watch out for leeches and push ahead to the
road, where cold drinks are waiting. Return by vehicle to Phong Nha by 5:00 pm.
We will provide you with the following:
• Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag
• Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
• Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
• Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 38 – 46
• Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
• Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
• Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
• Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
• Katadyn (Swiss-made) water puriöer (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle.
• Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
• First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
Please also bring with you the following:
• 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
• 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite
• 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
• 1 pair of øip øop (sandals) for campsite
• 1 medium size towel
• 1 -2 pairs of calf length close weave socks (not ankle socks!)
• Small backpack for your water bottle and personal belongings
• Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
If you are trekking in the colder months (December – March) please bring additional
warm clothes for the evening and an extra change of long pants and shirt for swimming.